Yucca Fries

I recently discovered that nightshades and my body don't get along so well. I can still have raw tomato or roasted tomato...but absolutely no tomato sauces. No nightshades also means no white potato...which means no french fries! I'm okay with that. I know how they make my body feel, so staying away isn't hard....but once in a while you just want french fries...you know what I mean???

Yucca Root (also known as Cassava) has a very similar flavor and texture to potato. I've had Yucca Fries before at a restaurant and once at a Food Truck, so  I decided to try them out for myself. Keep in mind they are a little more labor intensive than potatoes, and also really high in carbs...so they are a nice treat to have every so often.

Ingredients:

1 large Yucca Root
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder

Method:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.

2. Yucca Root needs to be cleaned really well. Start by cutting off the ends, and cutting the root in half or thirds depending on the length of the root. (Cut the approximate length that you want for your fries) Gradually work your knife under the skin to remove it. Make sure to remove all of the skin.

3. Chop into your desired shape and rinse the Yucca well. Put into a pot with enough water to just cover the Yucca. Put 1/4 tsp of salt in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook until the Yucca is fork tender but not falling apart.

4. Remove the Yucca from the water and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toss the Yucca with the Coconut Oil, 1/4 tsp of Salt, Seasoning Salt, and Garlic Powder.

5. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned. Turning once during the cook time.

6. Serve alongside your favorite hamburger or steak.

***Note: I like to serve them with some Roasted Garlic Aioli...or you can use your favorite Whole30 compliant dip. Feel free to switch up the spices for a different flavor too.

If you make one of my recipes please tag me in your Instagram photos. I would love to see your Whole Gourmet creations! @TheWholeGourmet 

Comments

Popular Posts